Article published on the 2009-05-31 Latest update 2009-05-31 15:19 TU
An internally displaced girl, fleeing the military offensive in the Swat valley region, is photographed at a UNHCR camp about 120 km from Islamabad
Pakistan's Defence Ministry said on Sunday that three north-western districts were almost clear of Taliban.
Syed Athar Ali, Secretary of Defence, said that operations in Swat and Buner had "almost met with complete success" and that "hopefully within the next two to three days, these pockets of resistance will be cleared".
Major General Athar Abbas, a military spokesman, said however that it was not clear when operations would end, "the operation is continuing in all of the areas and at this stage we cannot give any timeframe".
The army has also said that it killed 25 rebels in South Waziristan, near the Afghan border, late Saturday in clashes in which seven soldiers died.
Pakistan's military said an attack on a checkpoint in Spinkai Raghzai was fought off, which left 15 rebels and three soldiers dead. Ten rebels and four soldiers died in a separate incident.
A spokesman for Pakistani Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud has claimed responsibility for a suicide bomb attack on a police station earlier this week in Lahore and has threatened "massive attacks" in response to the Swat valley offensive.
Red Cross officials said on Sunday that they were "gravely concerned" as almost 2.4 million people have been displaced by the fighting in the Swat valley.
Pakistan's military relaxed a curfew on Sunday in the northwest of the country in order to allow people to return home or to leave the region.
Forces 'close to Swat victory'
Swat valley offensive
2009-05-24 14:18 TU